Going to the cath lab

The doctors have decided they will go with the cath (short for catheter) procedure as mentioned in our post yesterday.

When
Thursday @ noon.
The procedure will last about 3-5 hours.

Possible complications
The doctors went through possible complications again with us. Note: I was mistaken on two things. 1. Stint is spelled stent. 2. The back up plan for if the stent surgery doesn’t work is to place a shunt, not a complete repair. A shunt works just as the ductus already does – it allows blood flow to the lungs. The shunt, however requires open heart, by pass surgery to place it.

Below are some possible complications.
• If they see that the stent will completely block off one of the pulmonary arteries, then they will have to go with the shunt surgery – which will be scheduled for a different date
• When they insert the catheter, the duct could react by narrowing. If This happens and Reiss starts turning blue, then they will have to do an emergency shunt surgery.
• The catheter could damage the blood vessel in the leg (which is the entrance point). This could decrease blood flow to the leg and possibly cause it to be shorter than the other in the long run.
• The arteries could be damaged during the procedure, causing blood to flow into the chest. They would do an emergency shunt surgery if that happens.
• There is a possibility for death
• There is a possibility for clots, which could cause her to have a stroke. Because of this risk, she will be on blood thinners before, during and after surgery.

These each have a small chance of happening. As mentioned in our prior post, she is doing extremely well (gained another 3 ounces yesterday!) and the doctors believe she will continue to do well during and after the surgery.

Going home
Best case scenario: if she is eating, responding and growing as she should be, we will be home by the end of next week. Any complications from the surgery could lengthen our stay.

Brain MRI
We decided to also do a brain MRI today. Since she has a heart condition and a 13th rib, the possibility for other defects increases. The MRI may shed light on other complications, which allow us to plan better for the future. It could also show there is nothing abnormal, which will just ease our worries. I have attached pictures of Reiss’s prep for her MRI today.

Sara, Roy C, Reiss

20121010-163329.jpg

20121010-163335.jpg

20121010-163341.jpg

4 thoughts on “Going to the cath lab

  1. I am praying for Reiss and for the doctors to do this procedure perfectly. Also for your comfort as you wait.
    God Bless,
    Teri Replogle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s